FRANKFORT, Ky. (KT) - For the first time during the coronavirus pandemic, Kentucky has had back-to-back days with more than 1,000 new cases.
During a Wednesday press briefing, Gov. Andy Beshear announced, “Today, we are reporting 1,004 new cases of COVID-19. 154 of those are kids 18 years or younger, so we continue to see an increase among that age group.”
28 of the new cases were children five and under, the youngest was just four months old.
Tuesday had 1,018 cases, and with the new ones reported on Wednesday, there have now been a total of 68,840 cases of the coronavirus in Kentucky.
The state’s positivity rate has continued to drop this week, standing at 4.07 percent on Wednesday; down from Tuesday’s 4.24 percent and Monday’s 4.41 percent.
“While I’m glad at that number, 1,004 cases is a problem, and it means we have to be more vigilant,” the Governor said. “Last week, we had the most cases we’ve ever had in a single week, and right now we are more than on track to exceed that, this week.”
He noted that the high numbers bring a challenge, “It means even as we are getting better at treating people, more cases equal more deaths. It’s just a mathematical fact.”
The Governor added, “September has been our highest month, we could definitely see October being higher than that.”
Beshear also reported four new deaths Wednesday, raising the total to 1,174 Kentuckians lost to the coronavirus. The new deaths include an 86-year-old man from Bullitt County, a 70-year-old man from Christian County, an 87-year-old man from Fayette County, and a 74-year-old man from Jefferson County.
“We have a number of others that are still going through our process, and sadly we are waiting to get information back, but I think we will see in the coming days that this can impact even younger adults,” he stated.
As of Wednesday, there have been at least 1,459,816 coronavirus tests performed in the state, and at least 11,840 Kentuckians have recovered from the virus.
The Governor said guidance for Halloween trick or treating will be released on Thursday but gave some hints on what it contains. “No big parties, no big block parties, no big parties of kids coming together. It’s going to be individual families taking their kids out trick or treating, and then we’re going to ask the way it’s going to be done at the door, to be done a little differently, too.”
He continued, “We think we have a reasonably safe way for kids to have a lot of the experience. Those in the house can perhaps watch the kids, but we avoid the direct interaction where you’re leaning over to give the child candy.”
Beshear also said he was disappointed by NASCAR’s decision not to hold any races at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, in 2021.
“I’m personally disappointed, because I worked with NASCAR to become one of the first locations that they could race again after the suspension due to COVID. I certainly hope that they reconsider, that this is a one year or even less change. That speedway is an important economic driver, not only to that area of Kentucky, but all of Kentucky. And, hey, our Kentuckians enjoy going to those races.”
You can read about updated key numbers, actions and other information from the Beshear administration on the response to the pandemic at kycovid19.ky.gov.
The Governor’s last scheduled press briefing for the week will be Thursday afternoon at 4:00, Eastern Time, and will be livestreamed on his Facebook page and YouTube channel.