Beshear to join suit seeking to halt FCC action on net neutrality


FRANKFORT, Ky.  (KT) -  Kentucky Attorney General Andy Beshear says he will join a lawsuit seeking to halt the Federal Communications Commission’s action on Thursday to end “Net Neutrality.”


Before the FCC’s action, Beshear had joined 17 other AGs in seeking a delay because of concerns about potential fraudulent comments sent to the federal agency.

The letter stated: “A careful review of the publicly available information revealed a pattern of fake submissions using the names of real people. In fact, there may be over one million fake submissions from across the country. This is akin to identity theft on a massive scale, and theft of someone’s voice in a democracy is particularly concerning.”

At the time of vote, there was no word from Beshear’s office as to whether he’d take part in a suit, promised by the attorneys general of New York and Washington.

But on Friday, Beshear issued a statement: “My office has already received multiple complaints by Kentuckians, as well as from consumers who previously lived in Kentucky, saying their identity or a loved one’s identity was falsely used.

“If the FCC continues with its plan, I will have no choice but to join legal action to protect Kentucky families from this sweeping and harmful policy change.”

The 18 AGs who signed the letter were 17 Democrats and one non-partisan officeholder.  In a 3-2 vote, strictly along party lines, the Republican-controlled FCC junked the long-time principle that said all web traffic must be treated equally. The move represents a radical departure from a decade of federal oversight.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions